Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Recreating Art For Private Commissions Part 2


So now I move on with part two of my Audubon re-creation commission. The client was pleased with my charcoal mock up of the pelican and the new tree lines. So with that I went out and purchased a 4ft x 4ft canvas and paints to begin the process.

Step one was to create a warm gray color to help set a specific tone on the canvas. I used white gesso, bone black, and burnt umber. Then I painted the canvas and allowed it to dry.


After an appropriate drying time I was able to start work again. The next stage was to outline the pelican, foreground, and background. This was done with my Prisma projector, 2 H pencil, and small photo copy of the original painting. The original picture was centered in the middle of the canvas and outlined. Then I drew in the newly created areas by hand. 


Then with 2H, 4H, and 8H pencils I filled in the the tonal value needed for this picture. This took a few days and many adjustments to get to where I needed to be. 




After all the tonal value was added and I was happy, then I took the canvas outside to use a clear coat to seal the drawing to the canvas. In my next installment I will show you the painting process. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Philadelphia Sketch Club 157 Small Oil Paintings 2020 show

  My oil painting "Deb" was excepted into the very prestigious "The Philadelphia Sketch Club 157 Small Oil Paintings 2020 sh...